• Home
  • Football
  • Gareth Bale Is In Safe Hands With Wales And Tottenham Have No Worries, Insists Robert Page

Gareth Bale Is In Safe Hands With Wales And Tottenham Have No Worries, Insists Robert Page

Gareth Bale, Welsh Former Footballer. Pic: Every Second Media/Alamy Live News/Every Second Media

Gareth Bale, Welsh Former Footballer. Pic: Every Second Media/Alamy Live News/Every Second Media

Gareth Bale is in safe hands with Wales and Tottenham have no concerns about him linking up for international duty, according to Robert Page. Wales caretaker manager Page has insisted there has been no contact between Wales and Spurs over  national captain Bale’s condition. Bale and injured Aaron Ramsey were both named in the Wales squad for their opening 2022 World Cup qualifiers – in Belgium on March 24 and against the Czech Republic in Cardiff six days later.

By Paul Jones

Gareth Bale is in safe hands with Wales and Tottenham have no concerns about him linking up for international duty, according to Robert Page.

Wales caretaker manager Page has insisted there has been no contact between Wales and Spurs over  national captain Bale’s condition.

Bale and injured Aaron Ramsey were both named in the Wales squad for their opening 2022 World Cup qualifiers – in Belgium on March 24 and against the Czech Republic in Cardiff six days later.

Wales are planning talks with Juventus over Ramsey’s World Cup qualifying availability, but when asked if he had consulted with Spurs manager Jose Mourinho about Bale, Page said: “There’s been no conversation with him.

“I think he understands as well that we have important games, and I keep saying that we have a medical team who understand what they are doing as regards to Gareth.

“He is playing more minutes coming into this camp than what he was previously in November’s camp, when he was not playing many minutes and we managed his load well. It is no different now.”

Embed from Getty Images

Bale has started Tottenham’s last four Premier League games after struggling for fitness for much of the campaign following his season-long loan move from Real Madrid in September.

But Ramsey missed Juventus’ 3-1 Serie A win at Cagliari on Sunday with a thigh injury, and reports in Italy have suggested that the 30-year-old former Arsenal midfielder will be out for three weeks.

“We’ve got to be sympathetic in how we deal with it and communication between ourselves and the club is imperative,” said Page, who will again be standing in for absent manager Ryan Giggs for the two World Cup qualifiers and a home friendly with Mexico sandwiched in between.

“We’ll have dialogue with the club and see where we’re at with it.

“We’ll have conversations and if we feel it’s doable to get him in and in contention for parts of these games then we’ll see.

“But we have to respect that Juventus might not want to risk him and get his recovery done there.

Embed from Getty Images

“Our medical team will take no chances if he’s not going to be fit, but we’ll see if we can get him over and have a look.”

Ramsey has had a long history of muscle injuries and started only three of Wales’ last 20 games.

He has played only once since Wales qualified for the delayed 2020 European Championship in November 2019 and some fans have begun to question his commitment.

Page said: “I understand where the fans are coming from but if you’re injured, you’re injured.

“No-one will be more frustrated than Aaron right now. He’s keen to come, he wants to get in the building and for us to have a look at him.

“Hopefully things will develop in the next 24 hours and we’ll have a clearer picture of what we’re going to do with him.

“But I wouldn’t question his commitment, and whenever he plays he adds value to the team.”

Embed from Getty Images

As Wales start their World Cup qualifying campaign and prepare for the Euro finals in just 88 days’ time , Welsh football is currently in a state of crisis with manager Giggs not attending games and chief executive Jonathan Ford leaving his position at the end of the month.

Everything was looking rosy when Wales qualified for Euro 2020 under Giggs and were top of their Nations League group.

But Giggs was then arrested on suspicion of assault on November 1 after a reported row with girlfriend Kate Greville at his Manchester home.

The former Manchester United star, 47, denies the allegation and has had his bail extended until May 1, with Greater Manchester Police having passed the file to the Crown Prosecution Service.

Giggs was not physically at Wales’ November games – a drawn friendly against the United States and Nations League wins over the Republic of Ireland and Finland which saw them top their group and secure promotion to the top tier of European football.

 

But Giggs selected the squad and was in daily contact with caretaker boss Page and the rest of the support staff.

The same arrangement is in place for Wales’ three March games, according to Page, although the Football Association of Wales said last week Giggs would not be involved in the upcoming camp.

His future as manager would appear to be in the hands of the CPS. Page says he has had no dialogue with the FAW over what happens this summer.

The 46-year-old former Wales captain says those conversations need to be had “further down the road” but time is short with the start of Euro 2020 less than three months away and the practicalities involved in planning for a major tournament.

The FAW announced last week that Ford would be leaving his position on March 31 after 11 years in the post.

Ford lost the confidence of the FAW council following several contentious issues behind the scenes, including widespread resentment at the FAW’s failure to adequately support the grassroots game during the Covid-19 pandemic.

President Kieran O’Connor is expected to take a more hands-on role before a new chief executive is appointed.

 

Related News

Brian Barry-Murphy Head Coach of Cardiff City. Pic. Alamy

Plymouth Remind us of Where We’ve Come From, says Cardiff City Boss Brian Barry-Murphy

Cardiff City head to Home Park, Plymouth on Saturday with momentum and belief but a clear warning from their head coach that nothing can be taken for granted.

Seb Kennedy | 22 hours ago
Adam Idah of Swansea City (33). Pic. Alamy

Swansea City Given Huge Adam Idah Boost

Adam Idah is set to return for Swansea City within the next month.

Paul Jones | Feb 20, 2026
JD Cymru North

Llandudno bid to stay Clear of Airbus in JD Cymru North

The top three teams in the Cymru North are all in action on Friday night

Dave Jones | Feb 19, 2026
Ben Lloyd of Newport County celebrates scoring his side's second goal with teammates and fans. Pic: Alamy.

Christian’s Soldiers Backed to March on after Vital Newport County Win

Newport County manager Christian Fuchs believes the pride shown by his players in their shock 3-1 victory at Salford City can prove a springboad to avoiding relegation.

Gareth James | Feb 18, 2026
Uncapped Phoebie Poole of Plymouth Argyle is a new face in the Wales squad. Pic: Alamy.

Phoebie Poole and Olivia Francis Lead the Post-Fishlock Era for Wales

After 166 matches with her in the line-up it is time for Wales to try and qualify for tournaments without the incomparable Jess Fishlock, as Ian Mitchelmore reports.

Ian Mitchelmore | Feb 18, 2026
Bristol City's Max Bird (left) scores his late equaliser to deny Wrexham. Pic. Alamy

Phil Parkinson Admits Late Blow for Wrexham was Hard to Take

Phil Parkinson admitted Wrexham’s 2-2 draw at Bristol City felt more like a defeat than a point gained.

David Williams | Feb 18, 2026