Scarlets head coach Dwayne Peel has wasted no time in restoring Springbok hooker Marnus van der Merwe to his starting line-up ahead of Friday’s BKT United Rugby Championship fixture against the Stormers at Parc y Scarlets (7.45pm, 10 October).
Van der Merwe returns to club action following his involvement in South Africa’s victorious Rugby Championship campaign, where he made two appearances from the bench in wins over Australia and the All Blacks.
His comeback offers a significant boost to a Scarlets side still hit by injuries.
The 27-year-old’s contract expires at the end of the season, and he has been linked with a possible move back to South Africa, with Munster and several Top 14 clubs also reported to be keen to sign him.
The Scarlets remain in negotiations to keep him in west Wales beyond next summer.
“You talk about overseas talent and he is definitely one who has helped our squad,” said head coach Peel.
“He's abrasive, he's a ball carrier for us and his performances have shown that in what he's given us on the field.
“There will probably be interest in Marnus, there's no doubt about that. Hopefully things will work out and he will be able to stay longer, but who knows at this present stage.”
Peel admitted that talks with Van der Merwe — and several other players — are being complicated by ongoing uncertainty around the Welsh Rugby Union’s (WRU) proposed overhaul of the professional game, which could see four regional teams reduced to three or even two.
“At present it's very difficult for anyone to make any commitments, that's the truth of it,” said Peel.
“It's not just Marnus, there are a lot of players we are speaking to at the minute. I am sure if the opportunity arises hopefully we will be able to move on something.”
READ MORE: Scarlets Key to Welsh Rugby Future, Says MP Nia Griffith
That uncertainty has already influenced recruitment and retention planning across all four regions — Scarlets, Cardiff, Ospreys, and Dragons — as they await clarity on budgets and structural reform.
The Scarlets began their campaign with Wales U20 hooker Harry Thomas impressing against Munster, while Kirby Myhill provided cover during Van der Merwe’s international absence and while Ryan Elias continues to recover from injury.
Peel’s squad remains stretched, with key forwards Sam Lousi, Kemsley Mathias, Josh Macleod, and Jake Ball all unavailable.
“Injuries haven’t helped our preparation because we have a smaller squad this season,” said Peel.
“That does test your depth, but it also provides opportunities for younger players, who have shown that they are ready and hungry for their chance.”
READ MORE: Taine Plumtree: The Scarlets and Wales Star Who's Staying Squeaky Clean
Last weekend’s trip to Connacht was postponed due to Storm Amy, leaving Scarlets eager to find momentum after an uneven start to the season.
Friday’s visitors, the Stormers, arrive in Llanelli on the back of home victories over Leinster and the Ospreys, and they too have been bolstered by the return of two Springboks.
Damian Willemse comes in at full-back, while Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu — who starred during the Rugby Championship — starts at fly-half.
Both players are expected to feature again in Cardiff when the Springboks face Wales at Principality Stadium on 29 November during the Quilter Autumn Series.
“Stormers have been very good so far and we all know how dangerous they are in terms of broken field and transition play,” said Peel.
“But they also have real strength up front and that is the challenge. It is about putting in a performance and competing, being brave with and without the ball.”
READ MORE: Scarlets Chief Dwayne Peel Throws Doubt On Two-Team Start-Up Plan
The South African side won 29–17 at Parc y Scarlets last March on their way to the URC play-offs, with Feinberg-Mngomezulu contributing 11 points.
Centre Johnny Williams will captain the Scarlets, leading a backline packed with Welsh internationals. Joe Hawkins is set to start at fly-half opposite Feinberg-Mngomezulu in what promises to be one of the night’s key battles.
Scarlets: Blair Murray; Tom Rogers, Joe Roberts, Johnny Williams (capt), Ellis Mee; Joe Hawkins, Gareth Davies; Alec Hepburn, Marnus van der Merwe, Henry Thomas, Tristan Davies, Max Douglas, Jarrod Taylor, Dan Davis, Taine Plumtree.
Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Sam O’Connor, Archer Holz, Steve Cummins, Ben Williams, Dane Blacker, Sam Costelow, Macs Page.
Stormers team: Damian Willemse; Seabelo Senatla, Wandisile Simelane, Ruhan Nel (capt), Leolin Zas; Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, Stefan Ungerer; Ali Vermaak, JJ Kotze, Sazi Sandi, JD Schickerling, Ruben van Heerden, Paul de Villiers, Ben-Jason Dixon, Evan Roos.
Replacements: André-Hugo Venter, Vernon Matongo, Zachary Porthen, Connor Evans, Marcel Theunissen, Deon Fourie, Imad Khan, Jurie Matthee.
Referee: Federico Vedovelli (Italy).
🏉 Scarlets vs Stormers — Match Factfile
📍 Venue: Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli
📅 Date: Friday 10 October 2025
⏰ Kick-off: 7.45pm (UK time)
📺 Live on: S4C & Premier Sports
💥 Headline
Springbok hooker Marnus van der Merwe returns to the Scarlets pack following Rugby Championship duty.
🧾 Competition
BKT United Rugby Championship – Round 3
🩹 Injury Update
Sam Lousi, Kemsley Mathias, Josh Macleod, and Jake Ball all ruled out through injury.
🔎 Players to Watch
Scarlets: Marnus van der Merwe, Joe Hawkins, Johnny Williams
Stormers: Damien Willemse, Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, Evan Roos
💬 Coach’s View
“Stormers have been very good so far and we all know how dangerous they are in terms of broken field and transition play,” said Dwayne Peel.
“It is about putting in a performance and competing, being brave with and without the ball.”
💷 What’s at Stake
URC points toward top-eight qualification and early-season momentum.
📈 Odds
Stormers 2/5 favourites
Scarlets 21/10
Draw 20/1
(via DragonBet – dragonbet.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion)






