• Home
  • Rugby
  • It’S Thank You And Goodnight From Ieuan Evans As WRU Clubs Vote To Replace Him And Others With New Faces

It’s Thank You And Goodnight From Ieuan Evans As WRU Clubs Vote To Replace Him And Others With New Faces

Super Rygbi Cymru

Super Rygbi Cymru

Welsh rugby found a rare show of unity to commit to change at the weekend, avoiding a cliff-edge moment that would have threatened the game’s immediate financial future. On Sunday, member clubs of the Welsh Rugby Union overwhelming supported significant plans for governance change at an EGM in Port Talbot.

By David Parsons

Welsh rugby found a rare show of unity to commit to change at the weekend, avoiding a cliff-edge moment that would have threatened the game’s immediate financial future.

On Sunday, member clubs of the Welsh Rugby Union overwhelming supported significant plans for governance change at an EGM in Port Talbot.

The on-going reputation and future financial viability of the Union were both on the line at a venue where 30 years earlier the clubs had passed a vote of no confidence in the union’s General Committee and forced them all to resign.

WRU chair Ieuan Evans and interim CEO Nigel Walker had joined forced with the chairs of the Community Game Board, John Manders, and the Professional Game Board, Malcolm Wall, in touring the nine WRU Districts in the build-up to the historic meeting.

The clubs were asked to back a single motion calling for an independent chair to be joined by two new independent non-executive directors on a re-vamped board of directors that they hope will ultimately have five female representatives.

When the previous chair, Rob Butcher, had put forward a proposal for an independent chair at the AGM in October last year, it fell 9% short of the 75% threshold required to get the motion passed.

Five months on, Evans and co carried the day with 97.22% of the 252 votes cast (245 in favour, seven against).

With major sponsors ready to walk away, the Welsh Government ready to intervene and public confidence in the WRU at an all-time low, a ‘No’ vote would have been a catastrophe coming against a background of claims of sexism and misogyny raised recently in a BBC Wales investigation.

“We’ve got very serious issues, let’s not understate that. Ieuan and I have had a number of conversations with all stakeholders, not just our sponsors, but Welsh Government, clubs, and regions,” said Walker.

“Those conversations were frank, and we understood the need for change. We conveyed that to the clubs, and the clubs have responded in a very positive fashion.

“It was impossible to overhype an event such as this. We simply had to vote for change otherwise the future of Welsh rugby was in doubt.

“The feelings and emotions at the moment are one of relief rather than jubilation or joy. But this is not the end of it, this is where the hard work starts.

“We have to repay the faith the clubs have shown in us today – 97% of clubs voted for change and the proposal that was on the table and we are delighted about that. We now recognise we have got to back up the words with actions.”

Evans only took over as chair five months ago and has now effectively been voted out of office.

He is ready to hand over the baton and believes there will be a queue of candidates to become the first independent chair of the WRU.

“I loudly applaud them for voting me out of office., and I have no doubt there will be people who want to become the new independent chair of the WRU,” said Evans.

“Rugby is embedded in our DNA and plays such an important role in our civic and social lives.

“I feel this is a wonderful opportunity for a person with drive, enthusiasm and with the right skill set to play a massive role in our future.

“I have more than enough faith in the fact there are quality women out there who are more than capable of filling the roles of chair and CEO.”

https://twitter.com/Jbeardmore/status/1639995194572414976?s=20

The stakes were high as 173 of the WRU’s 282 member clubs gathered at the Princess Royal Theatre, in Port Talbot, with three sponsors contributing up to £10m a year into Welsh rugby, on the verge of walking away.

More importantly, in the eyes of current WRU independent director Henry Englehardt, the billionaire founder of Admiral Insurance, a vote against the motion would have been the WRU voting for sexism.

He described it as “a watershed moment”.

“We need to show the world that we aren’t some backwards, sexist nation by putting women on the board,” he had told the clubs prior to the meeting.

“More women on the board will bring a lot of different thinking and different ways of looking at the questions. They will be a huge help to the board.”

The clubs were asked to vote on a package of changes that will mean the number of highly skilled independently appointed people on the WRU board will increase from three to six.

That will mean a reduction in the number of elected national or district members on the main board from eight to four.

https://twitter.com/edjenx/status/1640025988217159680?s=20

An independent chair will be recruited and the aspiration is to increase the number of women on the board from the one current member, Catherine Read, to at least five moving forward.

“There will be a transition period and we’ve given ourselves the deadline of 31 December. We’re confident that these changes, and the transition period, will be done and dusted well before 31 December,” said Walker.

“You’d expect the independent chair to have a say on the appointment of the independent non-executive directors and the new CEO.

“Certain parts of the process will move forward together, then once the chair is identified the other parts will then be concluded.”

Walker has proved in his turbulent eight weeks in the hottest seat in Welsh sport that he has all the attributes to be considered as a long-term successor for the recently departed Steve Phillips and could well be a leading candidate to swap his role as performance director to full time CEO.

As for the current chair, Evans, he will have to watch from the sidelines after winning one of the most important votes in the 142-year history of the WRU
He added: “Governance doesn’t stop, it’s on-going, like painting the Forth Bridge. We will constantly review, constantly challenge, and constantly scrutinise for the benefit of us all.”

The WRU Move From Sweet Talk To Stark Talk As They Tell Clubs . . . Back The Plans Or Starve

Related News

Wales players were left dejected after another record defeat.  Pic: Alamy

Wales Set More Unwanted Records . . . As France Storm a Broken and Abandoned Capital

It was not as bad as some had feared . . . just the highest number of points conceded by Wales against France, as Graham Thomas reports.

Graham Thomas | Feb 15, 2026
Wales coach Steve Tandy. Pic: Alamy

Back-to-Back Record Defeats for Wales . . . But Steve Tandy Insists It's Progress

Steve Tandy has insisted Wales are edging forward despite another bruising, record-breaking Six Nations setback.

Graham Thomas | Feb 15, 2026
Wales No.10 Carwyn Leggatt-Jones. Pic: Alamy

Deian Gwynne Insists Wales can Turn More Heartbreak into Six Nations Wins

Wales U20s star Deian Gwynne insists his team can recover from their second successive heart-breaking late Six Nations defeat.

Rob Cole | Feb 15, 2026
Evan Minto of Wales U20s. Pic. Alamy

Richard Whiffin Urges Fans to Back the Welsh Team Most Likely to Cause a Shock This Weekend . . . Wales U20s

Richard Whiffin has urged supporters to turn Cardiff Arms Park into a cauldron on Saturday night and back his Wales U20 team to a shock victory.

Paul Jones | Feb 14, 2026
Wales head coach Steve Tandy. Pic. Alamy

Steve Tandy Plans to Bring in New Defence Coach For Wales . . . in the Summer

Wales coach Steve Tandy plans to bring in a new defence coach to plug his leaky defence – but not until the summer.

Graham Thomas | Feb 13, 2026
Nicky Smith gets the first of Wales' four yellow cards. Pic: Alamy

Les Miserables . . . Wales Odds for France are Game for a Laugh

Wales fans are being urged to see the funny side of their team’s current Six Nations woes, with bookmaker DragonBet offering “Les Miserable” specials ahead of Sunday’s clash against France.

David Williams | Feb 13, 2026