• Home
  • Rugby
  • Former Newport Star Simon Raiwalui Insists Fiji Will Fly Higher After Brilliant World Cup

Former Newport Star Simon Raiwalui Insists Fiji Will Fly Higher After Brilliant World Cup

Emotional former Newport forward Simon Raiwalui was proud that his Fiji players were still fighting to the very end of their World Cup campaign and thought they had laid the foundation for a bright future for the island nation in the 15-man game. The Fijians went down 30-24 to England in their quarter-final at the Velodrome on Sunday, coming up short in their pursuit of a try that would have given them a stunning last-gasp upset.

By David Williams

Emotional former Newport forward Simon Raiwalui was proud that his Fiji players were still fighting to the very end of their World Cup campaign and thought they had laid the foundation for a bright future for the island nation in the 15-man game.

The Fijians went down 30-24 to England in their quarter-final at the Velodrome on Sunday, coming up short in their pursuit of a try that would have given them a stunning last-gasp upset.

“I’m a bit speechless at the moment but I couldn’t be prouder of the boys,” said Raiwalui, who took over the team in February and quickly overhauled the culture.

“They’ve worked so hard since week one, 15 weeks now, and they’ve showed they belong on the world stage. The whole group players and staff. It’s a bit of an emotional moment.

“This is a different Fiji team and I think it’s the start of something special. We made a couple of mistakes today, we didn’t take our chances and we paid for it but, as I said, I couldn’t be prouder.”

Sunday’s match had echoes of Fiji’s last World Cup quarter-final in 2007, when they fought back to level the match at 20-20 only to go down 37-20 to eventual champions South Africa.

The success of that campaign was not built upon but Raiwalui, who until he took over as coach was general manager at the Fijian Rugby Union, thought this time would be different.

“When I was general manager, the idea was to make sure that pathways were geared towards long term success. Our pathways are in a good place,” he said.

“The second thing was we needed to be more consistent in preparation, and I think what we’ve shown this year is that we’ve grown in that area. I think that’s only going to grow as we go forward to the 2027 and 2031 World Cups.”

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1713599855405244621?s=20

It has been a tough few weeks off the pitch for the Fijians with centre Josua Tuisova losing his son to a long-term illness and hooker Sam Matavesi’s father dying earlier this week.

Both players stayed in France and Raiwalui said that showed what a special squad it was.

“It’s more than just a group, it’s a family,” he said. “I think we’ll have a bond for the rest of our lives.”

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1713663275861184579?s=20

Related News

Wales players were left dejected after another record defeat.  Pic: Alamy

Wales Set More Unwanted Records . . . As France Storm a Broken and Abandoned Capital

It was not as bad as some had feared . . . just the highest number of points conceded by Wales against France, as Graham Thomas reports.

Graham Thomas | Feb 15, 2026
Wales coach Steve Tandy. Pic: Alamy

Back-to-Back Record Defeats for Wales . . . But Steve Tandy Insists It's Progress

Steve Tandy has insisted Wales are edging forward despite another bruising, record-breaking Six Nations setback.

Graham Thomas | Feb 15, 2026
Wales No.10 Carwyn Leggatt-Jones. Pic: Alamy

Deian Gwynne Insists Wales can Turn More Heartbreak into Six Nations Wins

Wales U20s star Deian Gwynne insists his team can recover from their second successive heart-breaking late Six Nations defeat.

Rob Cole | Feb 15, 2026
Evan Minto of Wales U20s. Pic. Alamy

Richard Whiffin Urges Fans to Back the Welsh Team Most Likely to Cause a Shock This Weekend . . . Wales U20s

Richard Whiffin has urged supporters to turn Cardiff Arms Park into a cauldron on Saturday night and back his Wales U20 team to a shock victory.

Paul Jones | Feb 14, 2026
Wales head coach Steve Tandy. Pic. Alamy

Steve Tandy Plans to Bring in New Defence Coach For Wales . . . in the Summer

Wales coach Steve Tandy plans to bring in a new defence coach to plug his leaky defence – but not until the summer.

Graham Thomas | Feb 13, 2026
Nicky Smith gets the first of Wales' four yellow cards. Pic: Alamy

Les Miserables . . . Wales Odds for France are Game for a Laugh

Wales fans are being urged to see the funny side of their team’s current Six Nations woes, with bookmaker DragonBet offering “Les Miserable” specials ahead of Sunday’s clash against France.

David Williams | Feb 13, 2026