• Home
  • Rugby
  • Cardiff Silent On Dai Young . . . As Scarlets Confirm Leigh Halfpenny Is One Of Leaving

Cardiff Silent On Dai Young . . . As Scarlets Confirm Leigh Halfpenny Is One Of 15 Leaving

Leigh Halfpenny of Wales.
Pic: Simon King/Replay Images.

Leigh Halfpenny of Wales. Pic: Simon King/Replay Images.

Cardiff have offered no explanation to their supporters over what has happened to their director of rugby, Dai Young. The Arms Park region have confirmed that Young will not attend Saturday’s “Judgement Day” fixture against Ospreys at the Principality Stadium but declined to comment on reports the 55-year-old has been suspended.

By David Williams

Cardiff have offered no explanation to their supporters over what has happened to their director of rugby, Dai Young.

The Arms Park region have confirmed that Young will not attend Saturday’s “Judgement Day” fixture against Ospreys at the Principality Stadium but declined to comment on reports the 55-year-old has been suspended.

There is no mention of Young’s absence on Cardiff’s website and it has not been mentioned to fans via their normally busy social media feeds.

It’s understood that Young did not attend training on Friday as multiple reports said he had been suspended amid alleged complaints made against him by club staff.

Cardiff, meanwhile, would only say that Young, a former Wasps director of rugby, would miss the Ospreys game due to “unforeseen circumstances”.

It is a huge fixture for both United Rugby Championship teams, with Champions Cup qualification on the line.

Cardiff currently top the Welsh Shield by four points from the Ospreys, meaning one point against their west Wales rivals would see them secure a place in next season’s blue riband European club competition.

As Young’s future remains uncertain, so is the next destination of Wales pair Leigh Halfpenny and Rhy Patchell who are among 15 players the Scarlets have confirmed are leaving at the end of the season.

Blade Thomson and Josh Helps already announced their retirements, while Tomás Lezana joined French club Montauban during the season.

However, the trio are joined by 15 other players who leave the Llanelli-based side.

Back-rower Sione Kalamafoni joins French side Vannes next season while Javan Sebastian heads to Edinburgh.

Dane Blacker remains in Wales signing for the Dragons, while Aaron Shingler and Alex Jeffries are both to retire.

The club has confirmed that Leigh Halfpenny, Rhys Patchell, Lewis Rawlins, Tom Price, Phil Price, Taylor Davies, Daf Hughes, Corey Baldwin, WillGriff John and Iestyn Rees will also be leaving the club.

https://twitter.com/BenThomasJones/status/1649453569739743232?s=20

“It is always tough to make this announcement; all the players have given so much to the jersey during their time here,” said Scarlets head coach Dwayne Peel.

“Players like Shings, Leigh and Patch have played massive parts in Scarlets’ successes in the league and in Europe over the years; Lewis Rawlins is a club centurion, while Phil Price, Tom Price, Dane and Sione have played more than a half-century of matches.

“Every player has been committed Scarlets during their time here, and I thank them all for their contributions and also for the professional manner in which they have handled what has been a difficult process this season. Our best wishes go out to them all for what comes next.

“I am sure all will have fond memories of this place, and all will want to help us finish this season by being part of a squad that wins a European trophy.”

The departing players will receive a presentation in front of the supporters after the final home game of the season, as per the club’s tradition.

The presentation will take place after the Challenge Cup semi-final against Glasgow Warriors next week.

Related News

Wales players were left dejected after another record defeat.  Pic: Alamy

Wales Set More Unwanted Records . . . As France Storm a Broken and Abandoned Capital

It was not as bad as some had feared . . . just the highest number of points conceded by Wales against France, as Graham Thomas reports.

Graham Thomas | 23 hours ago
Wales coach Steve Tandy. Pic: Alamy

Back-to-Back Record Defeats for Wales . . . But Steve Tandy Insists It's Progress

Steve Tandy has insisted Wales are edging forward despite another bruising, record-breaking Six Nations setback.

Graham Thomas | 23 hours ago
Wales No.10 Carwyn Leggatt-Jones. Pic: Alamy

Deian Gwynne Insists Wales can Turn More Heartbreak into Six Nations Wins

Wales U20s star Deian Gwynne insists his team can recover from their second successive heart-breaking late Six Nations defeat.

Rob Cole | Feb 15, 2026
Evan Minto of Wales U20s. Pic. Alamy

Richard Whiffin Urges Fans to Back the Welsh Team Most Likely to Cause a Shock This Weekend . . . Wales U20s

Richard Whiffin has urged supporters to turn Cardiff Arms Park into a cauldron on Saturday night and back his Wales U20 team to a shock victory.

Paul Jones | Feb 14, 2026
Wales head coach Steve Tandy. Pic. Alamy

Steve Tandy Plans to Bring in New Defence Coach For Wales . . . in the Summer

Wales coach Steve Tandy plans to bring in a new defence coach to plug his leaky defence – but not until the summer.

Graham Thomas | Feb 13, 2026
Nicky Smith gets the first of Wales' four yellow cards. Pic: Alamy

Les Miserables . . . Wales Odds for France are Game for a Laugh

Wales fans are being urged to see the funny side of their team’s current Six Nations woes, with bookmaker DragonBet offering “Les Miserable” specials ahead of Sunday’s clash against France.

David Williams | Feb 13, 2026