• Home
  • Rugby
  • Six Welsh Players Left Without A Club As Worcester Warriors Withdraw

Six Welsh Players Left Without A Club As Worcester Warriors Withdraw

Six Wales internationals have been left without a club after Worcester Warriors Women withdrew from this season’s league and cup competitions with immediate effect. Worcester’s men’s team entered administration in September 2022 but the women’s team secured backing that allowed them to carry on playing.

By Hannah Blackwell

Six Wales internationals have been left without a club after Worcester Warriors Women withdrew from this season’s league and cup competitions with immediate effect.

Worcester’s men’s team entered administration in September 2022 but the women’s team secured backing that allowed them to carry on playing.

But a statement released by the Rugby Football Union (RFU) on Tuesday confirmed they will no longer be competing in matches.

It means Wales internationals Carys Phillips, Ffion Lewis, Natalia John, Alex Callender, Hannah Bluck and Wales’ most recent cap Carys Cox are looking for a new club.

https://twitter.com/BBCSportWales/status/1714548115712491991?s=20

Cube International, the club’s owners, have withdrawn their support and they will not fulfil any future fixtures, the statement said.

“It has been our privilege to support Warriors Women through the last season. Despite our best efforts we have had to make the emotionally challenging decision to withdraw from the league,” Cube founder Andy Moss said.

Worcester’s withdrawal means the renamed Premiership Women’s Rugby competition for the 2023-24 season, beginning in a month’s time, will now only involve nine teams.

https://twitter.com/BBCSportWales/status/1714384315734233180?s=20

PWR chief executive Belinda Moore told the BBC: “We are deeply disappointed for staff, players and fans and applaud the hard work and dedication of those at the club and their supporters who helped Warriors Women to continue.

“The RFU and PWR are working closely with all parties to establish a support fund for staff and players.”

The RFU statement added that Worcester’s cup match against Bristol Bears scheduled for Saturday had been cancelled, and updates to the fixture schedule would be announced in due course.

Related News

Wales players were left dejected after another record defeat.  Pic: Alamy

Wales Set More Unwanted Records . . . As France Storm a Broken and Abandoned Capital

It was not as bad as some had feared . . . just the highest number of points conceded by Wales against France, as Graham Thomas reports.

Graham Thomas | Feb 15, 2026
Wales coach Steve Tandy. Pic: Alamy

Back-to-Back Record Defeats for Wales . . . But Steve Tandy Insists It's Progress

Steve Tandy has insisted Wales are edging forward despite another bruising, record-breaking Six Nations setback.

Graham Thomas | Feb 15, 2026
Wales No.10 Carwyn Leggatt-Jones. Pic: Alamy

Deian Gwynne Insists Wales can Turn More Heartbreak into Six Nations Wins

Wales U20s star Deian Gwynne insists his team can recover from their second successive heart-breaking late Six Nations defeat.

Rob Cole | Feb 15, 2026
Evan Minto of Wales U20s. Pic. Alamy

Richard Whiffin Urges Fans to Back the Welsh Team Most Likely to Cause a Shock This Weekend . . . Wales U20s

Richard Whiffin has urged supporters to turn Cardiff Arms Park into a cauldron on Saturday night and back his Wales U20 team to a shock victory.

Paul Jones | Feb 14, 2026
Wales head coach Steve Tandy. Pic. Alamy

Steve Tandy Plans to Bring in New Defence Coach For Wales . . . in the Summer

Wales coach Steve Tandy plans to bring in a new defence coach to plug his leaky defence – but not until the summer.

Graham Thomas | Feb 13, 2026
Nicky Smith gets the first of Wales' four yellow cards. Pic: Alamy

Les Miserables . . . Wales Odds for France are Game for a Laugh

Wales fans are being urged to see the funny side of their team’s current Six Nations woes, with bookmaker DragonBet offering “Les Miserable” specials ahead of Sunday’s clash against France.

David Williams | Feb 13, 2026