• Home
  • Rugby
  • Rhys Webb Set For Wales Recall As Warren Gatland Prepares To Shake Things Up Again

Rhys Webb Set For Wales Recall As Warren Gatland Prepares To Shake Things Up Again

Warren Gatland. Pic: Simon King/Replay Images

Warren Gatland. Pic: Simon King/Replay Images

Rhys Webb is set to make his first Test start for three years as part of another big shake-up by Wales coach Warren Gatland. The Ospreys scrum-half – who has not been selected to begin a Test since 2020 – is poised to come in to face Italy in the Six Nations at Stadio Olimpico on Saturday. Gatland is expected to make changes to the starting lineup, with as many as seven potential alterations from the team that faced England.

By Gareth James

Rhys Webb is set to make his first Test start for three years as part of another big shake-up by Wales coach Warren Gatland.

The Ospreys scrum-half – who has not been selected to begin a Test since 2020 – is poised to come in to face Italy in the Six Nations at Stadio Olimpico on Saturday.

Gatland is expected to make changes to the starting lineup, with as many as seven potential alterations from the team that faced England.

Louis Rees-Zammit may be dropped to the bench, while Alun Wyn Jones and Christ Tshiunza could also be left out.

However, Webb is likely to be included, replacing Tomos Williams at scrum-half.

Webb had been sidelined for much of the Wayne Pivac era but now has a chance to impress ahead of the World Cup in France later this year. He will be partnered by his former Ospreys teammate Dan Biggar at half-back.

Liam Williams is expected to return at full-back, with Rio Dyer taking over from Rees-Zammit on the wing. Dyer impressed in previous matches and is set for another opportunity.

Up front, there may be changes with Wyn Jones, Dafydd Jenkins, and Jac Morgan coming in, while Gareth Thomas, Alun Wyn Jones, and Christ Tshiunza could be left out.

Neil Jenkins Urges Wales to Seize Opportunities to Avoid Rome Repeat Defeats

Wales assistant coach Neil Jenkins says it is time for Wales to take their opportunities if they are to avoid a repeat of the defeats they last suffered in Rome in 2003 and again in 2007.

“It takes an awful lot to win at this level, and we have given ourselves chances and opportunities in these games,” Jenkins said.

“You could argue we could have scored 20-plus points in maybe two of the games. There were clear-cut chances (against Ireland and Scotland) that we didn’t take, and we need to get better at that.”

“I played against some Italian sides in the early 2000s with some fantastic players like Diego (Dominguez) and (Sergio) Parisse, but at this moment in time they have got an awful lot of talent in that team and they are not afraid to play from anywhere.

“I think they tend to make good decisions as well – it is not just based on throwing the ball about willy-nilly.

“The reality is we will have to be at our best on Saturday to win. There is no doubting that. We know how good Italy have been.”

Read more about Rhys Webb

Wales’ Old New Boy Rhys Webb Follows The Messi And Ronaldo Creed . . . If You’re Good Enough, You’re Young Enough

Read more about Warren Gatland

Warren Gatland . . . The Rail Signaller Killing Time With Wales Who Already Seems To Have Hit The Buffers

 

Related News

Wales players were left dejected after another record defeat.  Pic: Alamy

Wales Set More Unwanted Records . . . As France Storm a Broken and Abandoned Capital

It was not as bad as some had feared . . . just the highest number of points conceded by Wales against France, as Graham Thomas reports.

Graham Thomas | 21 hours ago
Wales coach Steve Tandy. Pic: Alamy

Back-to-Back Record Defeats for Wales . . . But Steve Tandy Insists It's Progress

Steve Tandy has insisted Wales are edging forward despite another bruising, record-breaking Six Nations setback.

Graham Thomas | 21 hours ago
Wales No.10 Carwyn Leggatt-Jones. Pic: Alamy

Deian Gwynne Insists Wales can Turn More Heartbreak into Six Nations Wins

Wales U20s star Deian Gwynne insists his team can recover from their second successive heart-breaking late Six Nations defeat.

Rob Cole | Feb 15, 2026
Evan Minto of Wales U20s. Pic. Alamy

Richard Whiffin Urges Fans to Back the Welsh Team Most Likely to Cause a Shock This Weekend . . . Wales U20s

Richard Whiffin has urged supporters to turn Cardiff Arms Park into a cauldron on Saturday night and back his Wales U20 team to a shock victory.

Paul Jones | Feb 14, 2026
Wales head coach Steve Tandy. Pic. Alamy

Steve Tandy Plans to Bring in New Defence Coach For Wales . . . in the Summer

Wales coach Steve Tandy plans to bring in a new defence coach to plug his leaky defence – but not until the summer.

Graham Thomas | Feb 13, 2026
Nicky Smith gets the first of Wales' four yellow cards. Pic: Alamy

Les Miserables . . . Wales Odds for France are Game for a Laugh

Wales fans are being urged to see the funny side of their team’s current Six Nations woes, with bookmaker DragonBet offering “Les Miserable” specials ahead of Sunday’s clash against France.

David Williams | Feb 13, 2026