• Home
  • Football
  • Swansea City To Resist Any Moves To Tempt Rising Star Ethan Galbraith

Swansea City To Resist Any Moves To Tempt Rising Star Ethan Galbraith

Ethan Galbraith of Swansea City. Pic. Alamy

Ethan Galbraith of Swansea City. Pic. Alamy

Ethan Galbraith is good enough for the Premier League but his head coach Alan Sheehan is determined Swansea City grow the value of a “prize asset” for as long as possible.

Galbraith will return to club action this Saturday after earning rave reviews for his performances with Northern Ireland during the international break.

The 24-year-old midfielder outshone Liverpool’s £116m star man Florian Wirtz as Northern Ireland lost 1-0 at home to Germany in a World Cup qualifier on Monday evening.

Now, with former Swans star Lee Trundle having claimed Galbraith is already good enough to play in the Premier League, the former Leyton Orient player will return to Championship action at Southampton.

Galbraith’s value to Sheehan is already evident in the fact the £1.5m player signed in the summer has played in every game for the club so far this season.

But Sheehan is equally determined to hang on to a player he describes as a “prize asset” for as long as possible and certainly beyond the next transfer window in January.

Asked about Trundle’s suggestion that Galbraith has Premier League level ability, Sheehan said: "I wouldn't disagree with that.

“But he’s our player, and obviously the recruitment team have done a great job in bringing him here. Now we get to protect him.

"Let's keep him here and keep building with him.

“I have high hopes for a lot of the players that we've brought in. You know the business is we have to create assets as well as being competitive on the football pitch and he's definitely one of them.

“The recruitment team picked him out a long time ago so he's somebody that's been on the radar.

“He's come in and he can play in a number of positions and he is an absolute diamond of a lad as well. He's wonderful for culture and he's made a real impact here.”

Galbraith has already played 16 matches in total this season - 12 for Swansea and four more for Northern Ireland - and Sheehan’s more immediate concern is to make sure he does not overplay his playmaker.

He was left out of the starting line-up for the Swans’ most recent match against Leicester City and although he came on as a substitute, Sheehan’s side suffered a 3-1 home defeat.

“He’s already had an extended season, getting to the play-off final (with Orient),” added Sheehan.

“He has played nearly every minute of every game and he also played in all the cup games, then all the international games.

“It's one where we just want to keep an eye on him - to make sure that he doesn't get fatigued. You want him to kind of reset to show his top levels.”

The Swans will return to action after the international break in 12th place, three points adrift of the play-off places.

READ MORE: "I Don't Want us to be a Nearly Team" Says Alan Sheehan After Swansea Lose to Leicester City

A large contingent of Sheehan’s squad were on international duty, including Wales pair Ben Cabango and Liam Cullen.

Whilst there was plenty of love for Galbraith on social media, Cullen came in for criticism from some following his performance during Wales’ 3-0 defeat to England, even though he was part of a very poor collective display.

“After a game, people are highly emotional,” added Sheehan.

“I think it was obviously a difficult first half. But some people on social media would probably rather be right and stick by it. 

“So, when that player is doing well they just go quiet and wait for the next match. 

“When we win, you will be quite popular and when you lose you will be very unpopular. And that is the way of the world.

“But I would say just be consistent, be professional, continue with the plan, keep going and work hard.”

 

Related News

Calum Chambers of Cardiff City. Pic. Alamy

Calum and Jack go Way Back . . . But this is Strictly Business at Cardiff City

Calum Chambers and Jack Wilshere share a long history that stretches back to their days together at Arsenal and with England, but friendship will be set aside when their paths cross on Saturday.

Seb Kennedy | Feb 14, 2026
Wrexham's Issa Kabore (left) and Josh Windass celebrate.  Pic. Alamy

FA Cup Glory Earned and Stored Away by Wrexham as Phil Parkinson Turns Focus Back to Championship

Phil Parkinson insists Wrexham’s FA Cup adventure will now take a back seat as his side refocus on their Championship campaign.

David Williams | Feb 14, 2026
JD Cymru North

Llandudno are in the Mood for Love, Romance and Three Points at Home to Gresford Athletic

It's Valentine's Day weekend and all true romantics are dreaming of promotion from the JD Cymru North to the JD Cymru Premier, as Dave Jones reports.

Dave Jones | Feb 13, 2026
Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo comforts Wales' Gareth Bale after Portugal won 2-0 during the Euro 2016. Pic. Alamy

Wales Fans Will Choose Which Stadium Hosts Portugal and Ronaldo, Insists Craig Bellamy

Craig Bellamy has insisted Wales supporters will have the final say on whether a glamour Nations League clash with Portugal — and potentially Cristiano Ronaldo — is staged at the Principality Stadium.

Paul Jones | Feb 13, 2026
Cardiff City's Joel Bagan. Pic: Alamy

Re-Born Joel Bagan is the Heartbeat of Cardiff City’s Revival

Brian Barry-Murphy has rotated a number of players this season, except one he seems to place on his teamsheet every single week, as Ian Mitchelmore reports.

Ian Mitchelmore | Feb 12, 2026
The Principality Stadium, Cardiff. Pic. Alamy

Wales Ready to go Back to Principality Stadium For England Clash Ahead of Euro 2028

Wales will look to host a major football international at the Principality Stadium if they are paired with England in Thursday’s Nations League draw.

Paul Jones | Feb 12, 2026